Pages

Subscribe:

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Write Stuff - Kelly Hashway


Bumples Magazine wouldn't be the same without all the talented writers that lend their skills to us. So in honour of these great folks we have started "The Write Stuff." Here we will showcase the writers that make Bumples Magazine fun to read.

Our first writer is Kelly Hashway (The Christmas Bunny - March Issue). Here is what she had to say...


How did you hear about Bumples Magazine?
I am a student at the Institute of Children's Literature and I first learned about Bumples Magazine through the school's news letter. I loved the fact that the magazine is interactive and couples stories with facts. It really gives kids a little bit of everything. I immediately knew it was a market that I wanted to submit to.

Do you have other stories published?
I've had five short stories previously published in a variety of children's magazines and have two more coming out soon--including a running story in the May issue of Bumples. I love writing about all topics from fantasy to realistic fiction to humor. I write for children ages six through young adult.

Could you give us hint about what Easter Bunny is about?
I actually wrote "The Christmas Bunny" because my daughter said she wanted to hear a story about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. It was around Christmas time and I started to wonder what would happen if the Easter Bunny decided to take over Christmas because he thought kids loved Santa more than him.

Did you always love writing?
Yes! When I was in elementary school, I wrote stories all the time, about everything. I even tried to write a novel, which I remember was all one long paragraph! Being a writer has been my dream for as long as I can remember.

What's the first story/poem that you ever wrote?
Wow! The first thing I ever wrote had to have been a poem. I loved writing silly poems when I was very little. But the first story I ever sold for publication was a ghost story. It was about a ghost who couldn't scare anyone and had to learn how in order to graduate from Ghoul School.

How long have you been writing?
While I've written all my life, I really started working at it as a career in 2004. I decided that I wasn't happy just writing as a hobby. I wanted to be a serious writer. I started working on a novel and eventually enrolled in the Institute of Children's Literature to improve my skills.

Any advice you'd like to share with those still struggling to get published?
The best advice I could give is to keep writing and keep reading. Never stop trying to improve your skills, and above all, continue to submit your writing despite rejections. You can't ever get published if you don't put yourself out there.

What's next for you?
I'm continuing to write and submit short stories for children's magazines. Also, I'm querying literary agents with my first middle grade fantasy.

Anything else you'd like to add?
For more information about my short stories and novel, visit my website at http://www.kellyhashway.webs.com/.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Be sure to check out Bumples Interactive Magazine at http://www.bumples.com

Blogger may receive a small compensation for products advertised on Bumples Family First.